Pipe Layers install underground pipes on major infrastructure projects such as highways, dams and the drainage of airfields and sub-divisions. The pipes may be constructed from reinforced concrete, steel and plastic and are used for stormwater, sewerage, water supply and gas pipelines that may extend many hundreds of kilometres. The work is outdoors and requires physical fitness. During the course of this qualification you will be exposed to both the theory and practical experience required to prepare you for a career in Pipe Laying.
Units chosen must be relevant to the job function. Care must be taken to ensure that all prerequisites specified within imported units, or units chosen as electives, are complied with.
Candidates will undertake:
- training to gain their underpinning knowledge and skills requirements.
- theory tasks to test their knowledge and skills
- practical tasks to demonstrate their learning within a workplace
- third party verification to confirm
This qualification reflects the role of a skilled operator working in pipe laying, who applies a broad range of skills in a varied work context, using some discretion and judgement and relevant theoretical knowledge. The individual may provide theoretical advice and support a team.
You will learn how to:
- read and interpret work instructions and safety signs
- calculate basic weights, distances and volumes
- complete incident and maintenance reports assist with obtaining information from relevant sources throughout the project life cycle
- apply teamwork in a range of situations, particularly in a safety context
- contribute to the planning and execution of operations
- adjust work methods in response to changing weather and site conditions
- participate in team solutions to safety issues
- identify and obtain appropriate equipment and permits
- identify potential hazards and prepare appropriate responses
- follow procedures and techniques relevant to the equipment and work being done
A key point of difference is RudTek’s flexibility in its delivery and assessment options, with each candidate choosing what is best for them and relevant to their job function.